Outdoors activity rises as spring nears.
- A 55-pound Asian Carp, caught in Augusta City Lake Jan. 25, brought attention to invasive species in Kansas. A report from the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism states the fish, caught during a fish salvage order, is considered an invasive species harmful to the local ecosystem.
- The Topeka Capital Journal released an Outdoor Calendar for Feb. and March. Events include the Kansas Bird Dog Championship Feb. 10-11 and the Topeka Boat and RV show Feb. 10-12 .
- The Wichita Eagle’s Michael Pearce reports the coming of Pheasant fest to Kansas City, Mo. The show will feature everything upland game hunting. The event begins Feb. 16 at the Kansas City Convention center.
- A recent Bassmaster article highlights tour pro Aaron Marten’s five favorite hooks for bass fishing.
- John B. Snow and Dave E. Petzal released a list of the best rifles coming in 2012. The list includes brand names, such as, Remington, Ruger and Winchester.